Thank you to those who sent me suggestions for books to add to the library. Getting boys of all ages reading is a priority, because so much of the rest of their lives depends on them being able to read efficiently in a wide variety of circumstances.
If you would like to encourage your son’s leisure reading habits there are a few simple things you can do:
- Let him see that you value reading by modeling reading for pleasure; let him see you choose and read books, papers, magazines
- Make sure he has some time to read. In the busy lives some of our boys lead, finding even twenty minutes a day when they are not “timetabled” can be difficult. (Maybe everyone in the family could read for a short time instead of watching television?)
- Take him (or encourage him) to visit the school library or the public library, where books have been chosen specially for his age group.
- Accept his choices of books even if they are not what you would read or what you think he should read.
- Encourage him to excel in the Accelerated Reader program here at school.
Mrs Margaret Forbes